Friday, December 19, 2014

I really liked Mississippi John Hurt and especially "Make Me Down a Pallet on Your Floor", which was the song I chose to focus on primarily that week. I was trying to paint something with some colors, I think some blues and maybe a little bit of red, and I was getting so frustrated with it that I honestly gave up and mixed all of the paint I had out together and made the grey, and then I found I actually liked the grey, so I used that. In a sense I connected with the chorus of the song for the image/action of it, the making of the pallet, because I felt that was what I was sort of doing too. that blobby form in the middle was the pallet I ended up making, and i think the story of the song itself invoked grey because of an atmospheric feeling, like the color of the light at 4 or 5 am, and also the emotional tenor of the song (at least from my interpretation). I feel like common narratives in society give us ideas of black and white in relationships, where in reality it's a lot messier. there's a lot of grey areas when it comes to dealing with other people (factoring in the "good girl", etc). I again found myself frustrated with the onesided-ness of the narrative, trying to put myself in the shoes of the other person (or people) implicated in the situation. I liked the grey for that. I liked that it was softer in a way, because I felt i needed it to be. it feels like it's trying to figure itself out, but it's also trying to just be what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment