Friday, December 19, 2014

this was for "Sally Gardens" and maybe even a little bit of "Coming Through the Rye", not so much "Barbry Allen". i stopped updating this blog around the same time that i became too frustrated with painting to ever do it for like five weeks in a row so thinking about it now that seems interconnected. When I was making this piece I remember being really angry, because I had been reading about Cecil Sharp and the biographer who had written that article was glossing over Sharp's racism and I became so frustrated that  I couldn't even continue reading the article at that point. Honestly I lost all interest after that, because the biographer was trying to excuse Sharp's anti-blackness, and then there was a paragraph about how Sharp met a few Native American people on his travels and he thought that they were ok because they could sort of play the music according to his assessment, but he thought that they would never be as refined as all the Appalachian whites. So at that point I lost all interest in the reading. I liked the songs though, I really liked how Sally Garden is sort of helpless and nostalgic, like the speaker wishes that they could go back and change their past actions. It's sort of about hindsight being 20/20, and life experience building on itself. I'm not sure how well I managed to capture that in this drawing but I actually like it considering i'm not very invested in my drawings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment