Friday, December 19, 2014

This is the painting from hell that made it all the way from Mississippi John Hurt through Delta Blues and came out in cowboy songs week. But it's actually not about cowboy songs and it is actually supposed to be Careless Love. I couldn't tell you how I feel about it. Like I don't dislike this piece I just don't think it does anything very special. I like the white spaces and the greys most of all. I'm a little put off by that purple, it just wasn't a good color anywhere and I hope i never mix anything that ugly again. The red and the blues are ok. I remember one of my instructors told me not to use ultramarine straight from the tube but then I did it anyway; actually I'm pretty sure I started doing it more after that. So I'm not sure what the implications of that are but it's true. I think at least with this piece I got a sense of motion and layers that I was having trouble with for a while, so I'm glad I sort of stopped feeling so frustrated while painting. I do know that's not ever going to go away for me, I have a tendency to fight with my work, which is alright I guess. It's just part of my process and i'm starting to accept that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment